How to Run for School Board — and WIN!
THINKING OF RUNNING FOR SCHOOL BOARD IN NW MONTANA?
Blacktail Law Group is getting calls about all things school board elections, so we decided to answer your most pressing questions:
- Elections for most school board trustees in NW Montana will be held on Tuesday, May 3, 2022.
- Trustees publish the date of the election between 10-40 days before the election in a newspaper, website, etc, meeting election notice requirements.
- Your Declaration of Intent to run and Oath of Candidacy must be completed and filed with the Clerk of the District at least 40 days before the election.
- You need a declaration of intent even if you intend to be a write-in .
- The Declaration of Intent and Oath of Candidacy clearly identifies who the candidate is and the position sought. Here is a sample form from 2021 from a Great Falls school.
- You have to be an eligible voter in the district and be a resident of the school district.
- To vote, you must be registered to vote, 18+, a resident of Montana and the county for at least 30 days, and a US Citizen. Convicted felons and those of unsound mind cannot vote.
- To run for school board, you can’t be a school employee or have any other conflicts of interest.
- Leadership Institute offers a free, week-long training on how to run for school board.
*Abby Moscatel is a school law, constitutional law, and civil litigator based in Lakeside, Montana. Her post does not form an attorney-client relationship and is not legal advice. To set up a consultation with Blacktail Law Group regarding election rules and regulations, consult an attorney.