THINKING OF RUNNING FOR SCHOOL BOARD IN NW MONTANA?
Blacktail Law Group is getting calls about all things school board elections, so we decided to answer your most pressing questions:
- Elections for most school board trustees in NW Montana will be held on Tuesday, May 3, 2022.
- Trustees publish the date of the election between 10-40 days before the election in a newspaper, website, etc, meeting election notice requirements.
- Your Declaration of Intent to run and Oath of Candidacy must be completed and filed with the Clerk of the District at least 40 days before the election.
- You need a declaration of intent even if you intend to be a write-in .
- The Declaration of Intent and Oath of Candidacy clearly identifies who the candidate is and the position sought. Here is a sample form from 2021 from a Great Falls school.
- You have to be an eligible voter in the district and be a resident of the school district.
- To vote, you must be registered to vote, 18+, a resident of Montana and the county for at least 30 days, and a US Citizen. Convicted felons and those of unsound mind cannot vote.
- To run for school board, you can’t be a school employee or have any other conflicts of interest.
- Leadership Institute offers a free, week-long training on how to run for school board.
*Abby Moscatel is a school law, constitutional law, and civil litigator based in Lakeside, Montana. Her post does not form an attorney-client relationship and is not legal advice. To set up a consultation with Blacktail Law Group regarding election rules and regulations, consult an attorney.